There are times in crafting when the smallest details are the trickiest. I must say that was the case with the tiara for my black swan costume. Honestly I could have just painted a plastic crown and called it a day but I really wanted it to look as authentic as possible.
I'm not good at starting from scratch on things, I'm much more skilled at modifying. Against my better judgement I channeled my inner 10 year old boy and decided to set a plastic crown on fire. I know, totally dangerous and hazardous. I wore a mask & rubber gloves and headed outside. I set up near the spa just in case things got out of hand and needed to chuck the tiara inferno into the water. It actually wasn't that bad - I handled with metal tongs over foil and melted sections with a tealight.
I was moderately happy with the melted results, but it needed a more deformed look. I came across a post somewhere in the blogosphere (sorry don't remember) about making a cheap tiara using tin foil.
As you can see I wrapped rolled tin foil around the melted tiara then affixed with hot glue.
Next I took it back outside and spray painted the whole thing matte black. I used spray paint formulated for plastic. After letting it dry for about an hour I used a combination of silver metallic craft paint and silver & black glitter glue to highlight sections of the tiara. I finished it off with some plastic jewels and here's the end result:
I'm pretty thrilled with the outcome. Not exactly like Natalie Portman's but close enough.