We're wrapping up week 3 of the backyard beautification project, so I thought I'd give you all an update on the progress. In my last post, the crew had already removed the wall, spa equipment and started chipping away at the spa. The day after that here's what it looked like:
...and the day after that:
As you can see the whole spa is at ground level. They also removed the faux bolders, but preserved the step up to the spa. They drilled holes in bottom of the neighboring wading pool to prevent it from lifting out of the ground (yeah, that can happen when you empty a pool and leave it that way) and filled it with the concrete from the spa demo, topped with ground soil. We waste nothing!
We took a pause here so that we at least had a clear area to entertain our Halloween guests. It was weird standing on level ground that was our spa just a week ago. I will say this- our floors were a nightmare the next morning. I had to mop them twice from the mud that resulted from spilled drinks and dirt & dust from outside.
We decided to preserve the natural gas line that ran to the spa equipment and trenched out a path to re-route it to the center of the spa. The plan is to have a raised seating area featuring a natural gas fire pit. We're not planning on having one built in, but something we can just hook up to the valve. You can see it poking out the top in the next pic.
The step from the existing patio area down into the wading pool was awkward, so we had the crew extend it into a curve. The wading pool is going to be covered with flagstone with a small border running the edge of the wall.
The flagstone should be finished by next week. I'll be posting the end result then...so stay tuned!
Other posts about this project: