A few friends and readers have requested that I share the cake recipe from my last post. I have a confession...it's boxed cake. I usually bake when I'm hosting a dinner or event and by the time I'm done cooking and preparing everything else the last thing I feel like doing is baking a cake 100% from scratch. So, yes. This is boxed lemon cake and it was delicious. That said, here's the recipe...
- 1 box lemon cake mix (prepare mix as directed on box)
- Add 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries to the batter. They will sink to the bottom while cooking, creating a blueberry layer. If you want them more mixed in, add the blueberries halfway through cooking.
- (1) 8oz package of light cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 stick of butter (1/4 cup), softened
- 1 lb. powdered sugar
- (1) tsp. bourbon vanilla extract
- Zest & juice from 1/2 a lemon
- With an electric mixer, blend butter & cream cheese
- Gradually sift in powdered sugar to the butter & cheese mix
- Add vanilla and lemon zest & juice
- Bring 3/4 cup water and 3/4 cup sugar to boil in a small saucepan. Reduce to light simmer.
- Thinly slice half a lemon and gently place into the simmering pot. Cook 5-7 minutes or until tender.
- Remove lemon slices with a slotted spoon, placing on a paper towel. Let cool before placing on the cake.